Tampa Car Accident Lawyer
Established, reputable practice works to maximize compensation
Since 1976, The Matassini Law Firm, P.A. has provided highly professional, highly personal legal services for Floridians who’ve been injured in auto accidents. Combining friendly, attentive counsel with firm, straightforward advocacy, we’ve built a reputation as a hometown law firm that delivers impressive results. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in a traffic accident, our Tampa car accident lawyers can help you achieve the full measure of compensation you deserve.
- Ten Tips To Follow After A Car Crash
- Some Legal Issues In Florida Distracted Driving Cases
- Liability Issues In Alcohol-Related Crashes
- Common Issues In Tampa Intersection Collision Cases
- Five Steps To Take After A Car Accident
What To Do After a Car Accident
Many people think that common sense dictates what is to be done after an auto accident. Maybe so, but our common sense can desert us under stress. It is a good idea to keep this simple checklist in your car with your other important papers (registration, etc.).
- Get help for anyone injured.
- Call the police if someone is injured or killed, if a vehicle can’t be moved, or if the accident involved a hit‑and‑run driver.
- Move your car, if possible, to avoid blocking traffic and to protect it from further loss or damage. But be careful—many people are injured at accident scenes each year by other drivers who are not paying attention.
- Get the other driver’s name, address, telephone number, license plate number, driver’s license number, and insurance information. Give the other driver the same information.
- Record the insurance company name and the policy number exactly as they appear on the other driver’s proof‑of‑insurance card. Similar company names can cause confusion.
- Don’t sign anything except a ticket, citation, or report issued by the police.
- Notify your insurance company promptly. It will want the names and addresses of witnesses and injured persons.
- Never sign any document that gives up a legal right.
- Contact us to find out about your right to recover for your injuries.
If you have been in an accident and have questions about whether you need a lawyer or whether you have a right to monetary damages, call us. Decisions that must be made after an accident are very important. We can advise you and, if appropriate, deal with the insurance company or other parties on your behalf.
Here’s what our Tampa law firm can do for you
The experienced legal team at the Matassini Law Firm is ready to:
- Evaluate any bodily injury claim to determine the amount of money to which you are entitled.
- Help you with the property damage portion of your claim.
- Resolve complex issues and negotiate an overall settlement.
- Deal with your doctors, obtain your medical records, reports, and billing statements, and notify medical care providers as to who to bill.
- Have an investigator interview witnesses, take statements, and photograph the accident scene and your vehicle.
- File a lawsuit, if necessary.
- Ensure you obtain the relief you deserve!
Do I always need a lawyer, even for a case of “no-doubt” liability?
Liability (or blame/responsibility for the accident) is one of the most difficult elements you must prove to claim compensation, but it’s not the only factor in your recovery. Even if there’s no doubt which driver is at fault, as in cases of rear-end collisions, and most left-turn accidents, you still must prove:
- The accident caused your injuries —In many cases, accident victims get so pumped up with adrenaline that they don’t realize they’re hurt. They neglect to seek immediate medical assistance after an accident, then find themselves suffering unbearably a day or two later. This can create doubt as to whether it was the accident or some intervening event that caused the injuries. We explain what to do after an auto accident.
- The extent of your injuries —Whether your accident involves an 18-wheeler, passenger car or a motorcycle, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will always try to settle for the least amount possible, and will argue that your injuries are not as severe as you claim. An experienced injury attorney knows from past cases what the true value of your claim might be, and can send a strong signal that you will settle for nothing less.
So even when liability is not an issue, if for example, the motorist who struck you was texting while driving, you still need professional legal representation to recover full and fair compensation.
Can I recover compensation for a car accident if I was partially at fault?
Under Florida’s comparative negligence law, you can still recover compensation even if you bear some responsibility for causing or worsening the accident. However, the insurance company will attempt to heap as much blame as possible on you to diminish the amount it must pay. An experienced personal injury attorney can help restore the proper balance of liability and get you the compensation you deserve.
What if the “at-fault” driver is uninsured or underinsured?
Often the at-fault driver has no auto insurance or is only carrying the statutory minimum, which in many cases is insufficient to compensate a victim. If that happens to you, you might have to fight your own insurance company or try to attach the driver’s assets to pay your claim. When the process becomes this complicated, you need to rely on a legal professional who understands the law and court procedure.
Call our Tampa car accident lawyers today for a free consultation
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, you deserve capable and compassionate legal assistance. The Matassini Law Firm, P.A. offers a free initial confidential conference with one of our experienced Tampa car accident lawyers. Call us today at 813-217-5715 or contact us online.