Tampa Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Aggressive representation to protect vulnerable elders
Since 1976, The Matassini Law Firm, P.A. has fought for injured Floridians, with a special regard for the most vulnerable victims. If you have an elder loved one in a long-term care facility, nursing home or assisted living facility, and you’re concerned your loved one is not receiving the care, treatment and quality of life he or she is entitled to, we are determined to help. Contact our experienced Tampa nursing home abuse lawyers today, we will put our years of experience to work for you.
Getting your elder loved one help using Florida nursing home law
Florida has some of the strongest laws in the country designed to protect nursing home residents. Chapter 400 of the Florida Statutes enumerates the rights of nursing home residents, including:
- Adequate medical care
- Freedom from mental or physical abuse
- Therapeutic services
- Rehabilitative services
- Protection from other residents
If a nursing home violates a resident’s rights, the resident or the resident’s family or guardian may bring a personal injury lawsuit for actual and punitive damages and attorney’s fees. At assisted living facilities where 24-hour nursing care is not provided, Florida law maintains that each resident is entitled to a safe and decent living environment, free from both abuse and neglect.
Signs of possible abuse or neglect at Florida nursing homes
By remaining alert to indications of abuse or neglect, family members play a key role in caring for nursing home residents. Florida law lists a number of signs that would prompt investigation, such as:
- Unexplained bruising
- Bedsores or pressure sores
- Sudden changes in behavior
- Staff not allowing resident to be alone with visitor
- Unexplained weight loss
- Resident is over medicated
- Broken bones
Institutional neglect can take a variety of forms, including the failure to:
- Provide clean and adequate clothing
- Protect the resident from health and safety hazards
- Prevent malnutrition and dehydration
- Provide medical care for both physical and mental health needs
- Protect an individual from abuse from other residents
- Commit to upholding the quality of care in our long-term care facilities
- Elder abuse can be physical, emotional or sexual. It can also include financial exploitation or healthcare fraud.
Our Tampa lawyers are driven to protect those who cannot protect themselves and we are committed to holding those responsible for elder abuse or neglect accountable for their actions. A violation of resident rights by the facility usually subjects the facility to both administrative repercussions as well as payment of damages to the resident. Let us help you protect the rights of your loved one.
Contact The Matassini Law Firm to protect your loved one from Tampa nursing home abuse
Your elder loved one is entitled to compassionate care. If you suspect abuse or neglect at a nursing facility, The Matassini Law Firm, P.A. is eager to help. Call us today at 813-217-5715 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.