Dedicated Wrongful Death Attorneys Assist Grieving Families in Tampa
Determined representation in the pursuit of justice
The death of a family member is always an occasion for sorrow. But an untimely and preventable death is even more devastating. The Matassini Law Firm, P.A. helps individuals who’ve lost a loved one due to another party's negligence, recklessness or deliberate act to recover compensation available to them under Florida’s wrongful death statute. While no amount of money can bring your loved one back, you can hold the responsible parties accountable and ease any financial hardships the loss of your loved one has caused.
Understanding Florida's Wrongful Death Act
Florida's wrongful death statute provides that if a deceased person would have had a cause of action for personal injury, a personal representative may sue for wrongful death on behalf of the survivors. Most commonly, wrongful death actions involve loved ones who were killed in an accident or as a result of medical malpractice, but an action may be filed following an intentional or reckless homicide. The personal representative may be the decedent’s estate administrator or one of the survivors. The statute defines survivors as the decedent's:
Survivors also include children born out of wedlock to a mother, but not of the father unless he had taken responsibility for their support.
What damages are recoverable in a Florida wrongful death claim?
Florida law provides for the different types of damages, based on the identity of the survivor:
- All survivors — Lost financial support
- Spouse — Loss of the decedent's companionship and protection, as well as the spouse’s own mental pain and suffering from the date of the injury
- Minor children of the decedent — Lost parental companionship, instruction, and guidance and the child’s mental pain and suffering from the date of the injury
- Parents of a deceased minor child — Mental pain and suffering from the date of injury
- Personal representative of the estate — Loss of earnings from the date of decedent’s injury to the date of death, loss of the prospective net accumulations of an estate, medical or funeral expenses charged against the estate
Our Tampa lawyers seek out and use every available option to document and substantiate the losses of our clients and to hold the responsible parties accountable. Our goal is to help clients obtain justice and to guide them through this process with the highest degree of integrity and compassion.
Our lawyers help you recover compensation in a wrongful death claim
If you and your family are suffering from the untimely loss of a loved one due to someone’s negligent, reckless or deliberate act, you can take action to obtain justice. The Matassini Law Firm, P.A. manages wrongful death claims with sensitivity and professionalism. Call us today at 813.379.2007 or contact us online to schedule a free confidential conference with an experienced attorney.