What To Do After an Auto Accident
Established Tampa law firm advises motorists
Many people think that common sense dictates what is to be done after an auto accident. Maybe so, but our common sense can desert us under stress. It is a good idea to keep this simple checklist in your car with your other important papers (registration, etc.).
- Get help for anyone injured.
- Call the police if someone is injured or killed, if a vehicle can't be moved, or if the accident involved a hit‑and‑run driver.
- Move your car, if possible, to avoid blocking traffic and to protect it from further loss or damage. But be careful—many people are injured at accident scenes each year by other drivers who are not paying attention.
- Get the other driver's name, address, telephone number, license plate number, driver's license number, and insurance information. Give the other driver the same information.
- Record the insurance company name and the policy number exactly as they appear on the other driver's proof‑of‑insurance card. Similar company names can cause confusion.
- Don't sign anything except a ticket, citation, or report issued by the police.
- Notify your insurance company promptly. It will want the names and addresses of witnesses and injured persons.
- Never sign any document that gives up a legal right.
- Contact us to find out about your right to recover for your injuries.
If you have been in an accident and have questions about whether you need a lawyer or whether you have a right to monetary damages, call us. Decisions that must be made after an accident are very important. We can advise you and, if appropriate, deal with the insurance company or other parties on your behalf.
Here's what our Tampa law firm can do for you
The experienced legal team at the Matassini Law Firm is ready to:
1. Evaluate any bodily injury claim to determine the amount of money to which you are entitled.
2. Help you with the property damage portion of your claim.
3. Resolve complex issues and negotiate an overall settlement.
4. Deal with your doctors, obtain your medical records, reports, and billing statements, and notify medical care providers as to who to bill.
5. Have an investigator interview witnesses, take statements, and photograph the accident scene and your vehicle.
6. File a lawsuit, if necessary.
7. Ensure you obtain the relief you deserve!
Call our Tampa auto accident lawyers today for a free consultation
A serious auto accident calls for capable and compassionate assistance. The Matassini Law Firm, P.A. addresses your needs throughout the legal process. For a free initial consultation with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers, call us today at 813.379.2007 or contact us online.