Tampa Red Light Accident Lawyer
Under Tampa’s traffic laws, all motorists in the city, and throughout the state, are required to stop at red lights. For most drivers, this seems like an obvious law, as traffic lights help a great deal in accident prevention. Still, far too many drivers in Tampa pay no mind to these important tools, and do not comply with them. If you have been hurt by a driver that ran a red light, our Tampa red light accident lawyer can help you file a claim for damages.
Our Tampa Red Light Accident Attorney Explains the Causes of Accidents
The laws in Tampa, and throughout the rest of Florida, are very clear when it comes to traffic lights. When a light turns red, drivers must stop. So, why do so many drivers run red lights? The most common reasons are as follows:
- Drivers attempting to ‘make the light’: When a traffic light turns from green to yellow, drivers will often speed up, in an attempt to pass through the intersection before the light turns red. More often than not, this does not happen and instead, the driver puts everyone at risk of being involved in a crash.
- Rushing: It is no secret that drivers rush around on Tampa’s roads. Sometimes, people may run a red light simply because they are in a rush to get where they are going and they either do not see the red light, or they do not pay any attention to it.
- Speeding: Speeding is another illegal act that makes it very difficult for drivers to stop for red lights in time.
- Impaired driving: Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs have slower reaction times and have poor judgment, which could result in them running a red light.
- Distracted driving: When drivers take their eyes off the road, even for just a few seconds, it is enough time for them to fail to see a red light, which results in them running through it.
No matter the reason for running a red light, it is never an excuse for causing an accident. Afterwards, it is still just as important to prove the driver that ran the red light is liable for paying damages.
Our Tampa Red Light Accident Attorney Can Determine Liability After a Red Light Accident
If you are hurt by a driver that ran a red light, you must first file a claim with your own insurance company, under the state’s no-fault insurance laws. If you exhaust your policy limits or sustain a permanent injury, you can file a claim against the negligent driver. To do this, you must prove the driver that ran the red light caused the crash.
Proving liability in a red light accident is fairly straightforward. If you can show the other driver ran a red light, it is considered negligence per se. This means that when someone violates state law, such as failing to stop for a red light, their actions are considered negligent without considering whether a reasonable person would have acted in the same manner, and the driver can be held liable.
Call Our Tampa Red Light Accident Attorney
Running a red light is extremely reckless and if you have been hurt, our Tampa red light accident attorney at The Matassini Law Firm, P.A. can help you claim the damages you deserve. Call us today at 813-217-5715 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation.