Tampa Scooter Accidents Lawyer
Florida Scooter Accident Lawyers Representing Injured Clients in Tampa
If you live in the Tampa Bay area, you have probably seen riders on e-scooters around the City of Tampa, and you may have rented one of these scooters yourself. While electric scooters are becoming more popular in Tampa and throughout urban areas across the country, e-scooters also pose very serious injury risks. If you recently sustained serious injuries in a scooter accident in or around Tampa, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit. You should get in touch with the Tampa scooter accidents lawyer at Matassini Law Firm, P.A. as soon as you can to learn more about filing a claim for financial compensation.
Learning More About Scooter Accidents in Tampa
What should you know about scooter accidents? The following are facts and figures from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Almost 50 percent of all e-scooter injuries involve some type of head trauma, including traumatic brain injuries;
- Beyond brain trauma, other common injuries include fractures and dislocations;
- Fractures of the upper extremities account for about 27 percent of all e-scooter injuries in emergency departments, while lower-extremity fractures account for about 12 percent of those injuries;
- E-scooter injury rates are high, with an injury rate of approximately 14.3 for every 100,000 trips;
- Since e-scooter programs have been initiated in urban areas across the U.S., emergency departments have seen a rise in emergency room visits for e-scooter injuries;
- E-scooter head injuries could be reduced significantly if riders wore helmets;
- About 30 percent of all emergency department visits involve first-time electric scooter riders;
- Around 18 percent of injuries were sustained in collisions with motor vehicles; and
- Average age of a person treated in an emergency department for an e-scooter injury is 29.
Common Injuries in a Tampa Scooter Accident
Electric scooter accidents can result in many different types of injuries that can vary widely in terms of severity. While the seriousness of an accident depends upon many different factors, the following are common injuries in Tampa scooter accidents:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), including concussions;
- Neck injuries;
- Back injuries;
- Fractures (or broken bones);
- Bruising or contusions;
- Scrapes and cuts, including severe road rash; and
- Internal injuries.
Timetable for Filing a Scooter Accident Lawsuit in the Tampa Bay Area
When filing a lawsuit is your best option for compensation after a scooter accident, you need to make sure you file your claim on time. Under Florida law, the statute of limitations for most personal injury claims is four years. Accordingly, a plaintiff has four years from the date of the scooter accident to file a lawsuit against the liable party. In some cases, the maker of the e-scooter may be responsible for injuries. Depending upon the specific facts of your case, other parties also may bear some responsibility, such as a motorist who struck a scooter rider in a crash.
If you fail to file a lawsuit within the time window set by the statute of limitations, your claim will become time-barred by Florida law. The clock on this time window starts ticking on the date of the scooter accident. The sooner you get in touch with a scooter accident lawyer in Tampa, the quicker you may be able to get the financial compensation you need and deserve.
Contact an Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in Tampa
Were you injured in an electric scooter accident in the Tampa Bay area? While e-scooters are becoming extremely popular, they are also very dangerous. If you or someone you love got hurt while using an e-scooter, it is important to discuss your options for compensation with a Tampa scooter accident attorney. Contact the Matassini Law Firm, P.A. to learn more about the personal injury services we provide to clients in Florida.