The Financial Side of Personal Injury
A personal injury, by definition, has a huge impact on your daily life. The job of a personal injury attorney is to get you the resources you need to take care of those financial impacts. When you’re injured, you can be damaged physically, emotionally and financially. Some of the impacts of injury include:
- Loss of wages you would be earning if you weren’t injured
- Permanent physical changes that cause disability
- Physical damage that caused cosmetic changes that affect your daily life
- Medical expenses, such as care, therapy and medical equipment
- Loss of enjoyment of your life, such as ability to be with family and friends, the ability to travel for enjoyment, or the ability to participate in activities or hobbies you used to enjoy
- Repair or replacement of any property damaged or destroyed in the accident
- Psychological and emotional changes caused by the accident
All of these things have real costs — and you’re responsible for those costs. For some people, dealing with these expenses can be overwhelming even if you’re covered by insurance for some or all of your medical expenses, and even if you’re able to keep working in some capacity.
An experienced personal injury lawyer can help with these costs. For example, your attorney might be able to get you a letter of protection — an agreement with a physician to delay billing until after the injury lawsuit is concluded — to deal with these expenses. Remember, The Matassini Law Firm only gets paid if the client gets paid for his or her claim.